Best Food
nice food
healty Food

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

MISO!

While I am support raising I thought it would be good to learn a bit more about the food of Japan. Because, well... other than reading, cooking is my favorite thing to do.

Today I made Miso soup, which is one of my favorites. Why? Well... It reminds me of Japan, that's why. And it is so very tasty.
But before I can talk about Miso, I really should give a nod (well more than a nod) to Dashi stock, without which I couldn't make Miso Soup.

Dashi stock is actually a base for many Japanese recipes including another soup that I very much love with Udon noodles, and chicken, and egg.... nummy. But that's another show...

So Dashi is made from of Konbu and Bonito flakes. What are they you ask?

Well Konbu is a type of dried seaweed that is rather thick and hard. It is very different then Nori, which is the seaweed you see on sushi.

Bonito flakes (or katsuo bushi) are made by scraping shavings off of the Dried Bonito fish... It's not all as simple as that, something else happens with them but suffice to say, Bonito flakes are little papery thin bits of fish.

So what you do to make Dashi stock is place a piece of Konbu into some water and let it soak for a bit. Then you boil the Konbu which makes your house smell a bit like the seashore.
After it boils, you turn off the heat, add the Bonito flakes and let it steep for 5 minutes.
Then you have Dashi stock. HOORAY!

Then to make miso soup, all you do is put some of the stock in a pot, bring it up to a boil and add a bit of miso paste, stir it around and serve. I like putting tofu in my miso soup because it is tasty (actually, tofu doesn't taste like much of anything on its own...)

BUT MERLIN! You cry, what is MISO?

ah, miso is fermented soy beans (and a few other things) that's made into a paste! it comes in different colours "White" "Red" and "Blended" (which is a mix of the two)


now, yes for those of you who know their stuff, normally you don't use red miso in miso soup, because it's a bit saltier and more assertive in flavour... well, I bought this huge bag of it without thinking a while ago and I'll just use it until it's gone.

so there you have it. If I make soup again, I"ll be sure to take a picture so you can see!

(P.S. I bought these at my local Asian supermarket. It's a very fun place to go and find new things to eat! Find one near you and give it a try!)




No comments:

Post a Comment